In this Issue
• FILM Series
• Call for Entries
• Spring Classes
• New Exhibits + Last Call
Become a Member
Get connected with EAM!
sign up or renew online
- Click here
If your company
or organization would like to join as a Corporate Sponsor and have access to marketing opportunities
- Click here
Tues. – Sat., 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday, 1–5 p.m.
FREE to all
Calling all photographers, or those who just dig photography. We have a jam-packed photo-filled weekend Thursday, March 6 – Sunday, March 9, featuring meet & greets with renowned photographers, family art-marking, and more! Read on for a lineup of all Photopalooza events, and visit online for more information.
• Thursday, March 6 /5 - 7 p.m. / Artist Reception Internationally renowned architectural photographer Robert Polidori presents a gallery talk about his work currently on view in our Main Gallery. Also meet many of the NYC & Erie-based photographers featured in our new exhibit, Exposed: Recent Gifts to the Photography Collection.
• Friday, March 7 /7 - 10 p.m. / Gallery Night Explore the art-after-dark scene when you hop around to a handful of downtown art galleries, each boasting their own exhibitions, entertainment, and vibe. Photographer Robert Polidori will present a brief lecture about his work at 7 p.m. Families are invited to view EAM studio art class students in the First Class exhibit, as well as celebrate the Kids As Curators show in the Hagen Family Gallery. Amish painter Anna J. Weaver will meet & greet visitors in her exhibit in the Holstein Gallery throughout the evening, along with many of the artists from the Exposed exhibit. Enjoy live art demos, art-making stations, and refreshments provided by the Whole Foods Co-op.
• Saturday, March 8 /11 a.m. – 3 p.m. / Photo Symposium Join us for a series of photo workshops and lectures taught by the photographers featured in the Exposed exhibit. Dig into today’s most relevant photography issues from today’s leading experts, from Erie to NYC! Check out the complete listing of workshops here
• Sunday, March 9 /2 - 4 p.m. / Second Sundays Take a closer look at photos, light, and movement in this special edition of Second Seconds. Families will explore Robert Polidori’s photography exhibit, and then become a part of the art by moving inside projected images of the artist’s work! Visitors can also create their own compositions with photo slides and colored cellophane. The Museum is free from 1– 5 p.m. with the art making activity from 2 – 4 p.m. For groups of 10 or more, please call ahead to register, (814) 459-5477.
All events apart of Photopalooza Weekend are free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.erieartmuseum.org or call (814) 459-5477.
The Spring FILM series continues to showcase a clever mix of independent, documentary, and brand new films on Wednesday evenings at 7 p.m. (doors open at 6 p.m.). March boasts a stellar lineup of films, including Grandmaster (March 5), Some Velvet Morning (March 12), Cutie and the Boxer (March 19), and The Great Beauty (March 26). This month’s beer partner is Lavery Brewing Company! Enjoy awesome brews from Lavery Brewing Company during the whole month of March at FILM! Admission is just five bucks at the door.
CALL FOR ENTRIES: Two chances to submit!
EAM’s 91st annual Spring Show is looking for artist submissions
Looking for an opportunity to showcase your work? If you’re an artist within 250 miles of the City of Erie with work that has not previously exhibited in the Erie area, submit it to our juried art show! Enter your work from Saturday, March 22 through April 6 (download the prospectus for details). We are thrilled to announce this year’s juror of selection and awards as the Russian-born Sergei Isupov! Isupov holds his MFA in Ceramics and has a long international resume with work included in numerous collections and exhibitions throughout the world.
InnovationErie: Bringing Ideas to Light
Want to turn your bright idea into a reality? Submit your product design idea to the 6th annual InnovationErie Design Competition for a chance to win cash & professional services that will launch your idea to the marketplace. The competition seeks ideas that can be manufactured or created in the Erie region. Last call for entries is May 14! For more information, or to submit your idea, visit http://www.innovationerie.net.
It’s that time of year… again.
Another round of studio art classes are ready for the taking! Longtime favorites return with some brand new classes on tap, too, including Photoshop Basics, Printmaking and Bookbinding 101, and the Art of the Airbrush. Register by April 1 to get a $10 Early Bird discount off each class!
Can’t commit to a six-week class? We offer lots of one-day workshops, too! Try the always-fun-at-spring Pysanky Egg Dying Workshop, where students will learn the ancient dying method that uses wax to create intricate patterns.
To register for a class or workshop, call (814) 459-5477 or visit online. www.erieartmuseum.org/classes/spring.html.
Around the Galleries: New Exhibits + Last Call
First Class will open in the Frenzel Gallery starting March 7. This exhibit highlights works of art by students of the Erie Art Museum and their instructors. Prints, drawings, paintings, jewelry, photography, framing, and ceramics are just some of the art that will be on display. Make sure to stop by because the exhibit only runs until March 16!
The Amish Art of Anna J. Weaver will also open March 7 in the Ronald E. Holstein Gallery. Weaver showcases her community and its lifestyle through her acrylics on canvas, board, saws and other surfaces.
Kids as Curators Exhibit is back with another round of talented middle school students and teachers from St. George Catholic School, West End Elementary, and Emerson Gridley, who’ve curated a fun and quirky exhibit in the Hagen Family Gallery. The exhibit is on view through March 23.
Join us Gallery Night, Friday, March 7, from 7–10 p.m. to meet & greet with the artists from all of these exhibits! Families are welcome!
• Sunday, April 13, 1-5 p.m. – Second Sundays
• Saturday, April 26 at 7 p.m. – Spring Show Opening for Members and Artists
• Sunday, April 27, Spring Show public opening
• Tuesday, April 29 – Drop off for Rummage Sale begins
• Friday, June 27 – You won’t want to miss the fourth annual pARTy on the patio!
Find us on